Free Museum Day on Saturday, February 2
25 Museums participating!
With 25 museums participating by offering complimentary admission, the 21st Annual Free Museum Day takes place on Saturday, February 2, 2019, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. New this year, the popular day is also the kick-off to Sacramento Museum Week (February 2-8, 2019) filled with special events, activities and activations at various museums. While admission is complimentary to everyone on Free Museum Day only, regular admission applies at all museums during Sacramento Museum Week. Coordinated by Sacramento Area Museums (SAM) with the support of Visit Sacramento, Free Museum Day and Sacramento Museum Week in 2019 are proudly presented by Sutter Health and sponsored by California Family Fitness.
“We are thrilled to present the 21st Annual Free Museum Day plus extend the fun by offering a new Sacramento Museum Week this year,” said Sacramento Area Museums Chair Delta Pick Mello. “We’d especially like to thank our presenting sponsor Sutter Health and our returning sponsor California Family Fitness for providing much-needed resources to help us to present these important events. Our continuing goal as a collaborative organization is to introduce the community to the amazing array of arts, culture and museum offerings available in the greater Sacramento region.”
Free Museum Day is a popular cultural tradition designed to encourage all members of the community to experience the Capital City’s incredible wealth of art, history, science and wildlife, free of charge. Many of the museums are within walking distance of each other and easily accessible via public transportation.
And, to help easily and conveniently transport guests who wish to visit multiple museums in Sacramento’s urban core, Sacramento Regional Transit (SacRT) is offering free rides on all buses and light rail trains on Saturday, February 2 only with a printed SacRT Museum Day flyer (only one flyer needed per family or group). A screen shot of the flyer from a smartphone is also acceptable. To print or display the flyer, please visit www.sacrt.com. For more information specifically about SacRT park-and-ride stations and schedules, visit sacrt.com/services.
On Free Museum Day, event coordinators suggest that guests plan to visit no more than two or three different museums on this day in order to allow adequate time to enjoy the experience and to travel between individual sites. Due to the popularity of Free Museum Day, some locations must limit the number of admissions for safety reasons. The event is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. but note the last guests will be admitted at 4 p.m.
Participating Museums for Free Museum Day on February 2, 2019*
Aerospace Museum of California – California Agriculture Museum – California Automobile Museum – California Museum – California State Capitol Museum – California State Library – California State Railroad Museum – Don & June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum – Folsom History Museum – Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park – Locke Boarding House Museum – Maidu Museum & Historic Site – SSVMS Museum of Medical History – Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum – Powerhouse Science Center – Roseville Utility Exploration Center – Sacramento Children’s Museum – Sacramento Historic City Cemetery – Sacramento History Museum – Sojourner Truth African American Museum – State Indian Museum – Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park – Verge Center for the Arts – Wells Fargo History Museum (Capitol Mall) – Wells Fargo History Museum (Old Sacramento)
In addition to complimentary admission, some museums offer special activities on Free Museum Day, a sampling of which follows:
Special Activities on Free Museum Day
– 25 local museums and popular destinations offer free admission along with some that will present special activities for guests, including:
– California Agriculture Museum invites families and kids of all ages to experience activities that feature a Caterpillar 10, a fleet of pedal tractors and a coloring station to help experience what it was like growing up on a farm.
– California Museum highlights include self-guided tours of “Before They Were Heroes: Sus Ito’s WWII Images, Unity Center at California Museum plus a free family history activity.
– Locke Boarding House Museum will offer historic docent tours (11 a.m. to 3 p.m.) of one and only Rural Chinese Town in America.
– Maidu Museum & Historic Site will have a Mountain Maidu Basketry exhibit on display that focuses on the Baker family basket weavers. They will also have several kid’s activities and crafts available all day that includes a pine nut bead bracelet that kids can make and take home with them.
– Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum will serve cake and punch to visitors while they mark the anniversary of the opening of Sacramento’s first public school in February, 1854. Re-enactors will be present to show what schools and educators were like during that time.
– Powerhouse Science Center will have a DJ on-site along with science trivia, food trucks and other community partners with tables outside the grounds. Inside the museum visitors can experience the newly opened Expedition Science.
– Roseville Utility Exploration Center will host Bird & Bug Bonanza, a free family event held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Guests can peer through microscopes at pond scum, hold composting worms in their hands, watch bees buzz around their hive and meet some rescued ambassador birds. They can also flow down the storm drain on a journey to explore Cruddy Creek, an indoor interactive creek crawl then head to the game room to win prizes playing Busy Bees, Lady Bug Power and Flip-In Creek plus get their face painted or build a birdhouse to create a safe home for local backyard birds ($10 materials fee, while supplies last).
– Sacramento History Museum will offer gold panning and special activities outside the museum on Free Museum Day but the inside of the museum will be closed for renovation during Museum Day & Week. Additionally, Old Sacramento Underground tours are available at 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. and a Gold Fever! Game tour is available at 2:30 p.m. that day (regular prices apply for the walking tours).
– Sojourner Truth African American Museum will offer art activities for children and families, story time, face painting, film documentaries, entertainment special exhibitions, a food court and mural tours throughout the day.
– Verge Center for the Arts will present hands-on activities and special tours.